Rochester, New York
Title: Senior Packaging Engineer
Work Location: US – Rochester, NY – Panorama Creek Dr
Start Date: 4/5/2021
The packaging engineer will collaborate with other packaging engineers, process engineers, quality engineers and project leaders to develop packaging systems for sterile and non-sterile consumable plastic products for life science, medical device, laboratory, packaging, diagnostic and consumer product markets.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in a collaborative environment that develops a wide variety of plastic lab ware products from concept to launch using an engineering focused process. Challenging opportunity for a talented engineer to drive innovation, implement new technologies and develop best engineering practices in a growing organization.
What will you do?
· Cross Functional Project Team Member: Participate on cross functional project teams to develop product and packaging design traceability matrix, complete packaging design verification activities and present results at technical design reviews. Communicate effectively within team, to marketing and engineering management on packaging design progress.
· New Package Design: Collaborate with internal customers, project teams and external suppliers from brainstorming new innovative concepts for packaging component design through technical feasibility and cost assessments using best design practices and packaging industry design standards. Translates VOC feedback into user needs and design inputs. Completes engineering analysis of designs.
· Packaging Standards: Develops and uses engineering design guides and standards for common design elements. Applies packaging appropriate Design for Manufacturing (DFM) and sustainability guidelines.
· Equipment Selection: Specify and select a range of standard packaging equipment. Prepare capital requests. Obtain quotes from suppliers.
· Verification and Validation Testing: Conduct FAT, SAT, IQ, OQ qualifications of new equipment. Coordinate packaging ship tests per industrial standards and document results with detailed technical reports.
Label Design and Development: Design product label to customer requirements while using standard set of templates utilizing label design software Bartender.
How will you get here?
· BS in Packaging Engineering (design option), Mechanical Engineering or related engineering degree with relevant packaging design experience.
· Minimum 7 years of experience in package design and development.
· Experience in a structured product development process, design requirements, design and change control processes
· Strong proficiency with packaging industry design and test standards (ISTA, ASTM, etc.)
· Experience in regulated industry with a knowledge of sterile barrier packaging and sterilization processes.
· Strong knowledge of low particulate and low bio burden medical device packaging and manufacturing practices.
· Experience with medical device packaging materials and test methods
· Experience with leading packaging equipment process qualifications (IQ, OQ, PQ)
· Proficiency with planning complex project activities spanning 6 – 12 months
· Experience with structural engineering analysis of new packaging designs
· Strong proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
· Solidworks (CAD), CAPE (pallet layout) and SAP (ERP) experience is a plus.
ArtiosCAD, package design software knowledge is a plus.
· Container leak testing experience a plus
· Willing to travel domestically and internationally (5%)
· Creative, innovative and critical thinking
· Analytical nature, responds positively to challenges and a problem solver
· Responsive, self-directed and well-organized with ability to manage multiple projects
· Seeks out collaboration opportunities
· Strong documentation, planning and organizational skills
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to influence across levels of organization
– provided by Dice
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.