Walton, New York
International Disability Alliance
IDA is seeking a Senior Communications Manager.
The Senior Communications Manager ensures that the wide range of information and communication produced by IDA is disseminated strategically and timely to reach out to the following target audiences:
– Persons with disabilities and their allies, members of IDA;
– United Nations (UN) system including UN country missions and staff of UN agencies at headquarters level;
– Civil society organizations, human rights, international cooperation and humanitarian professionals and activists;
– Governments, member states representatives and diplomats;
– Donors, foundations, and potential individuals interested to contribute financial resources to the fulfilment of the vision of IDA;
– General audience with objective to raise awareness of disability rights.
The Senior Communications Manager will create, develop and oversee the implementation of a rights-based, effective, and highly professional IDA communication strategy addressing multiple audiences through tailored storytelling about IDA activities and achievements. S/he will closely collaborate with all relevant units of the IDA Secretariat, where relevant with IDA members, and will manage support staff.
We are an alliance of networks. IDA brings together over 1,100 organisations of persons with disabilities and their families from across eight global and six regional networks. Together we promote the rights of persons with disabilities across the United Nations’ efforts to advance human rights and sustainable development. We support organisations of persons with disabilities to hold their governments to account and advocate for change locally, nationally and internationally. The cornerstone of our work is the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD). We promote the effective and full implementation of the UNCRPD, and compliance by governments and the UN System, through the active and coordinated involvement of representative organisations of persons with disabilities at the national, regional and international levels. The 2030 Agenda and its Sustainable Development Goals are also integral to IDA’s work to promote inclusive, sustainable development in line with the UNCRPD.
With member organisations around the world, IDA represents the estimated one billion people worldwide living with disabilities. This is the world’s largest – and most frequently overlooked – marginalised group. IDA, with its unique composition as a network of the foremost international disability rights organisations, is the most authoritative representation of persons with disabilities on the global level and acknowledged as such by the United Nations system both in New York and Geneva.
Thanks to successes in securing greater attention to the rights of persons with disabilities, IDA is growing at a fast-pace and its scope and volume of actions requires a highly effective and all-inclusive communication strategy.
B. Working Environment
Reports to: Executive Director
Staffs under supervision: Communications interns (when applicable)
Main Internal Interfaces
Main External Interfaces
C. Job Description
1. IDA communications strategy management
– Through consultations within the IDA Secretariat and broader network, create, develop and oversee the IDA communications strategy including storytelling;
– Lead the production of highly professional communication contents, based on information and contents produced by different units and/or IDA members (as relevant and upon their requests);
– Develop and oversee the enforcement of adequate guidance for communication protecting and respectful of the human rights of all persons with disabilities, as well as relevant data protection regulation;
– Monitor and evaluate the strategy based on users and audience feedback;
– Organize and oversee the activities of the communication assistants, officers or interns – depending on the needs of the organization.
2. Website, social media, publications, press and media management
– Manage and develop the IDA website, social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter etc.) accounts, ensure a consistent, targeted, and impactful message is disseminated;
– Collaborate with different departments/units to generate new campaign and outreach ideas and strategies around events such as COSP, CRPD, CSW, etc.
– Carry out public relations communication and media relation management;
– Conceptualize and oversee the production of the IDA external annual reports;
– Produce and disseminate strategic contents for the press media linked to relevant dates and deliverables of IDA activities – create informative and interesting press releases, press kits, newsletters, and related advocacy materials;
– In close collaboration with concerned colleagues, support the development of the GLAD and GDS websites and advise on GLAD and GDS communication;
– Define easily adaptable and scalable communication packages to be used within the IDA network;
– In close coordination with colleagues in charge of procurements and of publication contents, develop guidance to support quality translation of professional contents produced by IDA;
– Respond to communication-related issues in a timely manner.
3. Global communication outreach
– Support the Program, Advocacy and Capacity-building Units with the design, implementation and outcome monitoring of communication campaigns to target specific audiences;
– Establish a network of journalists in strategic countries and cities to fulfill the objectives of the communication strategy;
– Establish a network of external graphic designers, photographers, and other media-production specialists integral to the completion of the projects of the Alliance;
– Identify and connect with different regional networks, relevant listservs, Twitter and Facebook accounts to give a broader audience to the Global South OPD production, key information and voice to channel towards the UN system and IDA’s other target audiences;
– Organize public relations and special events (workshops, receptions) with the support of IDA logistics team;
– Develop and deliver communication training and guidance to support IDA members’ communication (and occasionally to external partners)
– Ensure close collaboration with IDA members to streamline all IDA communications and to meet the accessibility requirements of all persons with disabilities;
D. Employment Specifications
We are looking for a candidate with relevant experience in creating and managing communication strategies as well as for a candidate which is capable to support the IDA strategy by creating the vision of communication. We are looking for a candidate with proven track records in communication, network building, partnership development and leadership. Due to the high pace of IDA activities, we are looking for highly effective candidates who are ready to work occasionally nonstandard times.
a) Essential Requirements
– Master’s degree in communications, journalism, International or public affairs, English Language and Literature, social sciences or similar
– At least 7-10 years’ experience of communication, public relations and/or outreach jobs
– Experience in developing and managing communication strategies, including social media strategies, work with journalists, storytelling
– Experience in management of professional website with extended and complex content/ functionalities
– Understanding of development and human rights issues (including safeguarding)
– Commitment to the human rights of persons with disabilities
– Knowledge/understanding of accessible communications and accessibility information requirements
– Excellent command of English (professional editing capacities)
– Substantive knowledge of social platforms, viral communities, etc.
– Substantive knowledge of Microsoft office, Google suite
– Autonomy, adaptability, sense of urgency and ability to multitask and work well under pressure
– Experience working in a high-volume, fast-paced environment
– A strong sense of tact, diplomacy, sociability and interpersonal communication
– Ability to work within a multi-cultural team in decentralized locations
– Excellent organizational, planning, and coordination skills, attention to detail
b) Desirable Requirements
– Knowledge of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD)
– Knowledge of UN structure and processes
– Working experience with international organizations in similar field
– Work and/or life experience in Global South countries
– Working knowledge of at least one other UN official languages (Spanish, French, Arabic, Russian, Chinese)
– Knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud (e.g., ability to edit videos/photos/graphic design), Drupal-based and WordPress website content management
For applications please download the form from the below link:
Please e-mail by Friday 26th of February 5 pm CET, 2021 to….. click apply for full job details
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.