Work Shift: NIGHT
Work Week: Varies
The Respiratory Care Practitioner I (RCP) performs routine respiratory care procedures as assigned, varying in complexity. These include, but are not limited to: preparation, administration and monitoring of medication and treatment modalities and gas therapy, ventilator support, spirometry and assistance with bronchoscopy. May perform diagnostic testing of the cardiac respiratory system. As a member of the direct patient care team, provides direct assistance to physicians and other care health professionals with respiratory care related procedures within the scope of the professional licensure. Delivers exceptional patient care and adheres to standards and guidelines established by respiratory agencies and Houston Methodist to ensure optimal patient safety and customer service.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provides personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one other to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
2. Serves as resource to co-workers, may teach and orient new respiratory care practitioners.
1. Performs respiratory care as assigned to include but not limited to: arterial blood gas and analysis, pulse oximetry, spirometry and flow volume loops, lung volume determination, airway resistance measurement, breath diffusion capacity, bronchoprovocation testing, maximal inspiratory and expiratory pressures, bronchodilator administration, diagnostic radiology procedures. Prepares, administers and monitors treatment modalities and medication delivery. Implements, monitors and evaluates ventilator support. (EF)
2. Performs other procedures and tests as needed and if assigned such as Electrocardiograms, Holters, and Arterial Blood Gas.
3. Provides care for the physical needs of patients by executing various respiratory care concepts to maximize performance. This includes: positioning, physiology, procedure preparation, and technical factors. Modifies technical factors to achieve desired results and recognizes complications / limitations associated with certain procedures. Proactively identifies how to address these for optimum outcomes. (EF)
1. Reports near misses and inputs errors promptly into PSN to improve processes and identify trends. Contributes to identification of corrective action and improvement activities and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety. (EF)
2. Troubleshoots, calibrates and performs preventive maintenance and quality control on all equipment and analyzers per department guidelines, documenting activities. Assembles, prepares, cleans and operates bronchoscopy equipment, monitoring equipment and accessories in accordance with manufacturing recommendations and department guidelines. Reports malfunctions. (EF)
3. Provides direct assistance to physicians, performing tests as ordered, assessing and assuring quality, acceptability and reliability of results; takes corrective action and involves others as needed toward achievement of this end. (EF)
1. Accurately documents all patient care and respiratory related activities and procedures in the appropriate documentation system. Enters charges at the time service is delivered. (EF)
2. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks.
GROWTH/INNOVATION ¿ 10%
1. Participates in departmental projects and shared governance activities.
2. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Respiratory Care Practitioner.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below
No experience required; one year experience as a Respiratory Care Practitioner preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Registered as Respiratory Therapist by National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC-RRT)
Licensed as Respiratory Care Practitioner by the Texas Medical Board (TMB-RCP)
American Heart Association BLS
American Heart Association ACLS upon hire if at: HMSL, HMWB, HMW, HMTWH, HMStJ, or HMStC (note: current RCP Is as of this job description revision date have until 2/19/2018 to obtain if a new requirement); if at HMH or HMSJ, ACLS may be required of certain employees depending on area assigned (in these cases, employee has 90 days from notice of requirement to obtain and entity management is responsible for documentation and tracking)
American Heart Association Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) within 90 days of hire if at: HMSL, HMWB, HMW, HMTWH, or HMStJ (note: current RCP Is as of this job description revision date have until 5/19/2017 to obtain if this is a new requirement); if at HMH or HMSJ, NRP may be required of certain employees depending on area assigned (in these cases, employee has 90 days from notice of requirement to obtain and entity management is responsible for documentation and tracking); NRP is not required at HMStC
American Heart Association PALS may be required if at HMH, HMSL, HMWB, HMW, HMTWH, or HMSJ of certain employees depending on area assigned (in these cases, employee has 90 days from notice of requirement to obtain and entity management is responsible for documentation and tracking); if at HMStJ PALS required within 90 days of hire (note: current RCP I¿s at HMStJ as of this job description revision date have until November 1, 2017 to obtain); PALS not required if at HMStC
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going evaluations consisting of one or more of the following: skills, competency assessments and/or performance reviews
Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital / Respiratory Information Systems and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents
Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing work flow and actively participating in problem-solving
Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation’s leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees….. click apply for full job details
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.